Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Love like the Ethiopians!

John 13:34&35
"So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."

Hebrews 13:1&2
"Continue to love each other with true Christian love. Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it."

I have always considered one of my gifts, possibly a spiritual gift, to be hospitality. Since knowing our Ethipian friends my definition of how to love and show hospitality has changed. They know how to really show love, to draw you into their family. This was so evident when we were in the hospital. Two wonderful families drove from Cedar Falls to visit us. Many of their friends visited and loved on us. They brought us wonderful food, mangoes, this yummy warm oatmeal drink, a man who spoke Haydia (Teme's heart language), flowers, companionship and encouragement. When our story appeared on the news, an Ethiopian man came to thank us for "saving one". That means so much.

We are learning how to love. I so hope that we are able to love our friends and family in the way that we have been loved.

I have said that I have been amazed at the friends we have made since adopting Teme. So many of those that have shown us love during this time are new friends, people that we have not known very long. I would just challenge everyone who reads this to show love to someone today. It means so much! Send a card, take a meal, give a word of encouragement. It doesn't take very long or cost very much...and who knows you might even entertain angels.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Diane, I am glad you feel the love from us, but what we have given you so far is only a fraction of the love we see you pouring on to Teme . I feel like we are blessed to witness this unconditional love you guys have been showing to Teme even before he stepped at your door.

The love you pour on Teme and your amazing energy, prayer and every ounce of effort will for sure make him a positive addition to this world.

God bless !